Apply to Study

How to apply to study in Australia

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection operate an Overseas Student Program (OSP) that issues visas to people who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents to study in Australia.

Visa Options

A person who wants to study under the OSP program must obtain a student visa before they can commence a course of study in Australia. Depending on the type of study and the length of time you plan to be in Australia you may need a student visa, a training visa or a visitor visa. You are required to lodge your application for a visa at least 12 weeks before the orientation date at the college.

This student visa allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognised education institution. To apply for this visa you must first apply and be accepted to study in a registered full-time course at an educational institution in Australia.

If you are under 18 there are additional requirements. Check the Student Visa page on the Department of Immigration and Border protection website for comprehensive information about the subclass 500 visa.

Students under 18 who apply to study in Australia may also have a guardian. If you are the guardian of a international student under 18 who is here on a Student visa you may be able to apply for a Student Guardian visa. Find out more on the Student Guardian visa page on the Department of Immigration and Border Control website.

This visa allows you to do workplace-based training to enhance your skills in your current occupation, area of tertiary study or field of expertise.

Find out more on the Training visa page on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

You will need the following documents for your visa application:

  • Visa application form
  • Visa application fee
  • Four passport-sized photographs
  • Valid passport
  • Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from Knights College
  • IELTS result (your agent can book your place in an English test)
  • Academic and work experience documents
  • Statement of purpose
  • Evidence of financial ability (tuition fees, living expenses, expenses for dependents, return airfare)
  • Undergo a medical examination

On lodging of your visa application, your application will be allocated a unique Transaction Reference Number (TRN) by the Australian Government. You may find out about the status of your application online.

For detailed visa application checklist and support, please speak to one of our Education/Migration agents in your home country or in Australia

Once you have been accepted to study at Knight College and have received confirmation of your student visa, the next step is to start planning for your arrival.

Here is a checklist to help you plan your departure:

  • Passport and Visa – Check that your passport is valid for at least 6 months prior to your entry arrival in Australia, and that you have all your visa documentation. It is also a good idea to make copies of your passport in case you lose your passport.
  • Student enrolment and orientation documents – You will need your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) and student information pack, which you will have received from Knights College.
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) – This is a requirement for entry to Australia, so make sure you have your health cover policy arranged before you leave home.
  • Travel Insurance – You should also consider travel insurance, which covers things your OSHC may not – such as cancelled flights, lost documents, dental or optical care, etc.
  • Airfares – Make sure you are aware of the date and time of your flight. Keep your flight details in a safe and secure place, with your passport and visa.
  • Contact details – You may want to have a list of emergency contact details for family, as well as your embassy, accommodation and Knights College details. If you have used an education agent, keep their contact details on you, in case you need to contact them once you arrive in Australia.
  • Australian currency – There are money exchange places available at Australian airports and in cities, but it is recommended to have some Australian currency on you prior to leaving your home country.
  • Transport from the airport – Whether you are taking public transport, a taxi, or you are being picked up from the airport by Knights College staff, it is important that you have all the details including the time, the route and, if your travel has been arranged by Knights College, their contact details. If you need a map to assist you in getting to your accommodation from the airport, they will be available at the airport, or you can print one prior to leaving.
  • Accommodation details – Make sure you have the address of where you will be staying as well as their phone number and payment confirmation (if you have already paid for your accommodation).

Form Submitted

Your form has been submitted sucessfully. Please contact administration for further process.